Frequently Asked Questions: Veterans Benefits

Veterans Disability Benefits and the Questions that Matter

Applying for benefits can be a confusing process. Even the strongest and most capable veterans encounter months or even years of filling out government forms, medical exams and bureaucratic red tape. If you're uncertain about the process, you can turn to the VA-accredited claims agents at The Rep For Vets® with your most frequently asked questions about veterans benefits. Just contact them by calling 888-573-7838 for a free initial consultation.

What is veterans disability compensation?

Veterans disability compensation offers support for military veterans with service-related disabilities. Tax-free benefits are paid to veterans who qualify. The amount of compensation you receive depends on the severity of your disability.

What types of benefits are available to me as a veteran?

Millions of people across the United States are potentially eligible for VA benefits and services. Whether you are a veteran, a family member or a survivor of a veteran, you may qualify for support ranging from health care, to education and monthly disability payments.

Do I qualify for veterans disability compensation?

There are certain requirements you have to meet in order to get veterans disability compensation. You may qualify for compensation if you were hurt or became ill while on active duty in the military. You may also qualify if a pre-existing condition was made worse during military service.

Although most service-connected disabilities show up during or soon after military service, some conditions may not seem disabling until many years after you have gotten out of the service. Whether you served two weeks ago or two decades ago, you can talk with our claims agents about your situation.

How do I apply for service-connected disability benefits?

You can apply by filing VA Form 21-526, Veterans Application for Compensation and/or Pension, with your VA Regional Office. If you have any of the following documents, attach them to your application:

  • Discharge papers (DD 214)
  • Dependency records (marriage and children's birth certificates)
  • Medical evidence (doctor and hospital reports)

My claim has been denied. Should I appeal or just file a new application? If you call the VA, they might tell you that you have two options after your claim has been denied. You can appeal your case or simply file a new claim. Many veterans wonder which one to choose. They should know that appealing is almost always the better choice.

At The Rep For Vets®, our VA-accredited claims agents can guide you through the VA appeals process.

How long will the VA take to decide my claim?

It may take many months to over a year to receive a decision. Due to the extensive backlog of cases, some claims are stuck in the VA appeals process for years. Our claims agents will strive to successfully resolve your claim as soon as possible by providing the necessary evidence and documentation required to win your claim early in the appeals process.

Can I receive service-connected disability benefits and continue to work?

Yes, you can continue to work and receive your full service-connected disability benefits.

Can I receive service-connected disability and Social Security Disability benefits at the same time?

Yes, you can receive your full service-connected disability and Social Security Disability benefits at the same time. To learn more about this, please read about collecting veterans compensation benefits and social security disability.

I was injured during an authorized leave from service. Am I still eligible for service-connected disability benefits?

Yes, you can file a claim for service connection if you were injured during an authorized leave. For example, if you injured your back while playing baseball during an authorized weekend leave, you can file a claim for service connection for your back injury.

I am receiving benefits for my service-connected left knee injury. This injury caused me to favor my right knee and now I am having problems with my right knee. Am I eligible for service-connected disability for my right knee?

Yes, if an existing service-connected disability causes another disabling condition, then you can file for service connection for the new condition.

If I am already receiving service-connected benefits and my disability has worsened, can I apply for an increased rating?

Yes, you can file a claim for an increased rating at any time if you feel you are entitled to a higher rating because your service-connected disability has worsened.

What is "Total Disability based on Individual Unemployability"?

You should apply for Individual Unemployability if you are unable to work as a result of your service-connected disability. This benefit provides for the payment of total disability at the 100 percent rate even though your combined rating may be less than 100 percent.

Do I need representation?

The VA claims process is very complicated and difficult to navigate on your own. The VA is a huge government bureaucracy with complex rules and regulations. Unfortunately, the VA may not give your case the attention it deserves. Some disabled veterans turn to attorneys or claims agents like those at The Rep For Vets®. Our VA-accredited claims agents will deal with the government for you and will work hard to make sure your file contains the relevant documentation required to prove your case.

Where does The Rep For Vets® Operate?

Based in Tampa, Florida, our VA-accredited claims agents use the latest technology to serve clients nationwide. No matter where you are in the United States, they can help you get the veterans disability compensation you deserve.

When can a claims agent represent me?

A VA-accredited claims agents can represent you as soon as you receive your initial decision from the VA. If you already filed the initial appeal, called the Notice of Disagreement, a claims agent can represent you if this was filed on or after June 20, 2007.

How much does it cost?

You pay only if there is a successful outcome in your case. The fee is 20 percent of any past due benefits the VA owes you and your dependents. No money is deducted from your future monthly disability checks. It is important to remember that there are no upfront fees.

To learn more, please see how fees are determined and paid.

How can I learn more?

You can contact a VA-accredited claims agent by phone or email at 888-573-7838 or by using this online contact form.